I have a few pieces of inexpensive furniture that have moved around with me from place to place since my university days. They looked ever so sad and dowdy in my new apartment so I decided to give them a colour-pop make-over.
Dulux tester paint pots are brilliant for jazzing up furniture. You’d be surprised at how far the paint from those little pots can go.
I chose Pretty Pink, Lemon Tropics and Mint Macaroon.
Here are a few tips:
- Clean the surface of the chair/table thoroughly before you start painting. If you paint directly onto dust it will look clumpy and peel within no time
- Apply a few, light coats of paint. This will avoid brush streaks and drips
- Be patient and allow each coat to dry completely before starting on the next
- If any brush hairs get stuck in the paint, remove them quickly with tweezers. If the paint starts to dry before you do this it will look messy
- Cover all surfaces, even those out of view for a professional finish
- Wash your brushes in hot soapy water as soon as possible so that they are nice and supple ready for the next project!
Be warned it is addictive! I only intended on painting a chair and table but ended up getting a little carried away. The drawers of my dressing table are now Pretty Pink!
You can read about my jewellery organisers (as pictured above) in this post.